Wednesday 17 September 2008

Dilemma with the Homeless

This evening I was walking to my car from the pool and all of the sudden, a homeless person began to sign to me - "you have money, money food for burger". It was unexpected. I responded immediately in sign language, "Sorry, I cannot help you" in sudden fear and walked away quickly. He was surprised and so was I.

Now, is something wrong here? What have I done? I have always said homelessness, diseases and violence makes me angry. But I walked away from this situation. What if he grabbed my backpack, what if he grabbed my wallet? What would happen if I stayed and chat to give him money? Will that make a difference? I want to be able to make a difference. Was it because he's Deaf and I feel bad? Would I react differently if it was just another homeless person approaching me? Am I a thoughtless person? What would you have done in this situation?

http://www.888dag.com/

5 comments:

duff said...

I couldn't have done much because I wouldn't have understood the signing.I have similar dilemmas myself-some days I'll hand over a dollar-at other more self-absorbed times I'll walk straight past ignorantly.I guess the best thing to do would be to buy the bloke a sandwich-at least then you know he's getting fed and not pissed and further behind.

EyeOfTheLeopard said...

I find myself in this situation frequently, while overseas, especially in the US and most South East Asian countrys. Its tough if you have children begging. I and don't mind giving food, but find most beggars are after money.
Many years ago dutchieaussiekiwi and I did some volunteer work for the positive living center, which also looked after homeless people living with HIV. It was a interesting and rewarding expierence but also lots of fun.

Lise said...

I probably would have reacted the same way. I never believe in giving money though I do wonder if it would help but then you dont know if its for drugs or alcohol so are you really helping them?!? Like Kat says giving food would help but obviously at the time you didnt have any. Hard! I probably would have done what you did! Would be shocking to see someone sign though!! Wonder if its someone I know as often know people in the Deaf Community!? You wonder if he knew you were Deaf or just by chance?!?

pommygran8 said...

I suppose you could chat to him if you see him again and find out his story...

888 The Av 'n Gav Show 888 said...

It is not easy to know what to do. Do they really need a dollar or is it for drugs or alcohol. Not an easy one